Senior Data Scientist (Sleep)
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2023
WHOOP is an advanced health and fitness wearable, on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers its members to improve their health and perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives. It’s popular among Navy SEALs, healthcare, Fortune 500 CEOs, and professional athletes - if you’ve been to Fenway Park you’ve likely seen our office sign overlooking the field!
As a Senior Data Scientist on the Sleep Data Science team, you’ll develop algorithms to transform wearable sensor data into meaningful insights and metrics for the user to track and evaluate their sleep. Providing the highest quality sleep tracking and analysis is at the core of the business and a fundamental part of the WHOOP experience. You’ll work with colleagues of different backgrounds, including MLOps engineers, research scientists, software and hardware engineers, to conceptualize, develop, implement and deploy robust algorithms to analyze sleep data. You’ll also directly interface with the product team to identify opportunities to create novel sleep features. We’re looking for someone who has experience analyzing large datasets, developing ML models in Python, and who is excited about the use of wearables in the health and wellness space.
- Develop statistical and machine learning models on large datasets to build member-facing features
- Research a specific health, physiological, or fitness problem and apply latest advances in mathematical modeling, particularly on time series data, for example, through Bayesian causal inference
- Collaborate with data and software engineers to productize models and algorithms and monitor model performance in the field
- Work with MLOps engineers to stand up backend services that call trained production ML models
- Collaborate with the product team to ensure we’re delivering maximal member-value
- Mentor junior data scientists and engineers
- Report to the Data Science - Sleep Technical Lead
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field. Master’s and/or PhD are preferred.
- 3+ years of full-time professional experience in a related area
- 3+ years experience applying advanced machine learning algorithms in a related field. Deep learning experience is preferred.
- Significant experience working with time series data, preferably with sleep applications
- Proficient in scientific Python, including object-oriented programming, and SQL
- Experience with deploying production models, for example, through REST API and MLOps tools
- Proficiency in data visualization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to present findings to both internal and external stakeholders and communicate results to technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong collaboration skills
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility.