Lead Electrical Engineer, Continuous Improvement
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2023
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers members to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
As a Lead Electrical Engineer of the Continuous Improvement team at WHOOP, you will work within the Electrical team with Mechanical, Embedded, Manufacturing, Field Quality, and Supply Chain teams on supporting a large fleet of cutting edge wearables in the field. WHOOP delivers a premium experience and engineers on the Continuous Improvement team are expected to deliver designs that maximize performance, increase yield, drive down costs, and resolve production issues, while not compromising the high quality of our products. You will interface directly with suppliers and top-tier contract manufacturers (CMs) to drive the continuous improvement of designs in high volume mass production. You are deeply familiar with electrical concepts and best practices, you are quality minded, and you have the deep vocabulary required to work with mechanical engineers, firmware engineers, suppliers, operators, and technicians.
- Drive the effort and manage a team that identifies, designs, and executes performance improvements, yield increases, cost reductions, and shortening of procurement times of electrical subsystems and components for shipping products with cross-functional support from Hardware, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain teams across the globe
- Designing, coordinating, and analyzing the results of trials based on application of experimental design protocols
- Hands-on debugging and failure analysis of returned units and manufacturing test failures to identify root cause, execute corrective actions, drive quality and yield improvements
- Work with regulatory partners to maintain regulatory compliance certifications across product design updates
- Communicate directly with CM’s and suppliers to maintain production capacity
- Own technical project management of electrical Continuous Improvement efforts
- Proactively address supply chain risks by identifying component alternates, supporting validation builds, and performing technical analysis while maintaining yield and quality
- Support the electrical development of test fixtures for RMA diagnostic and engineering analysis in collaboration with Field Quality team
- Own the creation and implementation of engineering change orders (ECOs), develop and document standard operating procedures (SOPs), and maintain product lifecycle management (PLM) databases
- Work with Field Quality and Membership Services teams to monitor and drive improvements in member experience metrics in the field
- Prototyping, debugging, and analysis using standard lab equipment and techniques
- Schematic capture and PCB layout of electrical circuits for mass production using CAD and simulation tools such as Altium and SPICE
- Up to 30% travel domestically and internationally to contract manufacturers, partners, and suppliers
- BS or greater in Electrical Engineering or related field
- 8+ years experience in relevant fields
- Management experience preferred but not required
- First hand experience with international CMs and suppliers, product development, designing for manufacturing/assembly/test, and technical project management
- Extensive electrical engineering skills including a deep familiarity with circuit design, component fundamentals, power supply design, RF layout, digital communication protocols,
- Extensive experience in manufacturing processes, automated test, and debug of sophisticated systems in production at high volumes, especially battery-powered consumer electronics and/or biomedical sensors such as ECG, PPG, SpO₂, GSR, etc
- Lab experience including soldering and the use of multimeters, oscilloscopes, SMUs, RF analyzers, etc.
- Familiarity with regulatory emissions, safety, and design/manufacturing standards such as FCC 47 CFR Part 15, IEC 62368-1, IEC 62471, IPC-2221, IPC-6013, and IPC-2223. Additional exposure to medical device standards such as IEC 60601-1 and IEC 60601-2-47 preferred
- Experience with ECAD tools such as Altium and PLM tools like Arena
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility