Biomarkers Scientist - Part-time Contractor
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2023
Who We Are
Technology has transformed almost every single aspect of our lives. Yet, it still takes 12 years to develop a drug. Today thousands of diseases affecting hundreds of millions of people have no effective treatment. Accelerating the pace of bringing effective, new medicines to patients is one of the greatest opportunities for humanity. Our mission is to develop better drugs, faster using technology. We have built an end-to-end technology-driven drug discovery platform centered around one of the field’s largest human genomics databases in neuroscience. We use aspects of machine learning to map the complex causes of disease and turn those insights into promising drug candidates on our internal biology and chemistry platforms.
We are developing drugs to treat some of the biggest medical challenges today: ALS, Parkinson’s Disease, and Alzheimer’s Disease. Our first drug entered the clinic in October 2022 as a new treatment for ALS and was discovered entirely from our platform. We have raised $134M from top tier investors (e.g. BlackRock, Eli Lilly, Merck, Section 32, Threshold Ventures, Y Combinator, etc) and in 2021 we announced a $706M deal with Eli Lilly. We are a team of data scientists, neuroscientists, and drug developers united around an audacious vision: to build the next Genentech of the digital age.
Who You Are
The Clinical Biomarker Scientist will support all activities related to biomarker assay selection and implementation for Verge Clinical Development Programs. The Scientist will work with internal and external stakeholders to make sure that internal research works to provide strong rationale for biomarkers assay inclusion in clinical development, and will work with 3rd party labs to ensure appropriate levels of quality in the assay development needed for clinical implementation. A key part of their responsibilities will be to work with Verge’s Clinical Operations team to align internal project goals and operational execution. The Clinical Biomarker Scientist will work in a results-oriented environment to help advance the development of new medicines for the patients who can’t wait. The company is based in the San Francisco area and the position can be on site or remote from anywhere in the United States.
This is a part-time contractor position averaging 40 hours/month.
What You'll Do...
- Carry out literature reviews of relevant therapeutic areas in order to list and prioritize potential biomarkers
- Coordinate biomarker strategy with internal stakeholders
- Lead internal discussion of appropriate biomarkers and coordinate their selection with internal stakeholders
- Lead regular Verge translational biomarker meetings to discuss priority research, clinical applications and troubleshooting as it relates to different biomarker approaches
- Take a lead role in developing budgets for implementation of biomarker studies
- Work with internal R&D team to generate appropriate data from pharmacology models in support of biomarker selection
- Identify assays and CROs for clinical implementation of biomarker strategy
- Work with 3rd party CROs, as appropriate, to develop and qualify relevant assays for clinical application
- Develop study plans and budgets in collaboration with 3rd parties
- Review data and make recommendations to Verge management
What You'll Have...
- PhD or advanced degree
- Previous worked or contracted with Pharma/Life Sciences/Biotech - with a minimum 5 years industrial experience
- Experienced in to clinical trials, clinical development
- More than 3 years of hands on experience in Drug Development and and biomarker operationsStrong organizational skills, detail-oriented, and forward thinking
- Team player and ability to work across different teams
- Experience with project coordination and managing contracts
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed:
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model.