Sr. Data Engineer
Pursuit of truth in credit.
By using machine learning to anticipate and manage risk in credit, we’re empowering our partners and lenders to unlock opportunity and access for more borrowers, everywhere.
We strive to be the preferred partner to lending platforms, providing not only access to capital but also underwriting technology capabilities to allow innovative lending platforms to grow their business.
Our firm is made up of 60+ professionals working in San Mateo (HQ) and New York, working in-office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We are passionate, hard-working, relentlessly-resourceful, impact-focused individuals. We deeply value intellectual curiosity, independence of thought, creative idea generation, empathy, and close collaboration.
As a Data Engineer, you will work alongside quantitative researchers, finance & operations, investor relations & sales, and capital markets & partnerships.
Your role is to develop the systems and data pipelines that enable the shared data assets informing every decision of the firm.
What You'll Do
- Partner with stakeholders and senior leaders across Theorem to understand needs and set priorities for data-driven workflows
- Design new capabilities for Theorem's data infrastructure
- Develop robust software to support new and existing data initiatives across the firm
- Contribute to the creation of an industry-leading loan modeling platform that will generate data around which the business will coalesce
- Build complex data pipelines with high demands for correctness, speed, robustness, and availability
- Grow as an engineer by working with and receiving mentorship from senior engineers at the firm
You Will Own
- Availability and freshness of data through clear ETL ownership and automated alerting strategies
- Integration of system operational data sources into the Theorem data warehouse
- Quantification and tracking of data quality across all pipelines and build technology
- End-user discovery and accessibility of data used across the firm by normalizing, standardizing, and cataloging all assets
- Deprecation and removal of legacy data pipelines & reporting systems
What We're Looking For
- A minimum of 4 years of Data Engineering experience at a technology company
- An ability to partner with non-technical colleagues to transform business requirements into technical solutions
- Experience building automated reports, dashboards, and visualizations of curated data, e.g. SQL, Jupyter, Looker
- Experience assessing, implementing, and monitoring data validation and quality (correctness, completeness, availability, etc)
- Fluency in SQL and Python
- Deep expertise in relational data modeling, schema design, and normalization
Expertise in 2 or more of the following areas
- Distributed computation/query frameworks, e.g. Apache Spark, Databricks, Presto
- Distributed columnar data warehouses, e.g. AWS, Google BigQuery, Snowflake
- ETL and data cataloging frameworks, e.g. Hive/AWS Glue, Fivetran, dbt
- DAG/workflow management tools, e.g. Argo, Airflow
- Streams/queues/event sourcing, e.g. Kafka, AWS MSK
- Experience with containerized environments, e.g. Kubernetes, Docker
- Experience using Bazel
- Previous financial experience in ABS (Asset Backed Securities)
Characteristics To Thrive
- Hardworking and gritty
- Ethical, intellectually honest, and transparent
- Proactive with communication
- Collaborative and team success-oriented
- Excited to learn and grow from feedback and experience
- At home on small, high-impact teams
- Thorough in your end-to-end ownership of outcomes
- Biased towards action to solve problems
- Expected full-time salary range between $150,000 to $220,000 + bonus + equity + benefits
- Advertised and actual salary ranges may differ by geographic area, work experience, education, and/or skill level
We foster an environment that welcomes professionals with a diversity of backgrounds and ideas. We value professionals who are thoughtful, innovative, tenacious, and mission-driven. Every member of the team has a major impact on the company's success with visible contributions to the business. We encourage and reward growth, learning, and a solutions-seeking mindset. We offer a competitive salary and opportunity for equity ownership, generous benefits, and an inclusive and collaborative work environment. If you’re excited by the opportunities to create outsized impact as part of a world-class team, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can contact us at 415-489-0457.