Head of Capital Markets
Pursuit of truth in credit.
By using machine learning to anticipate and manage risk in credit, we’re empowering our partners and lenders to unlock opportunity and access for more borrowers, everywhere.
We strive to be the preferred partner to lending platforms, providing not only access to capital but also underwriting technology capabilities to allow innovative lending platforms to grow their business.
Our firm is made up of 60+ professionals working in San Mateo (HQ) and New York, working in-office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We are passionate, hard-working, relentlessly-resourceful, impact-focused individuals. We deeply value intellectual curiosity, independence of thought, creative idea generation, empathy, and close collaboration.
Lead Theorem’s Capital Markets team in providing efficient financing for the investment funds, managing capital markets investor relationships, and delivering new capital markets revenue opportunities. Financing responsibilities will include leading Theorem’s securitization program, optimizing warehouse facilities, executing private placements, and other opportunistic funding strategies. The executive will also partner with the CIO to ensure that portfolio management and capital markets goals are reinforced.
The leader of Capital Markets will also identify opportunities to expand capital markets relationships into new business lines and revenue opportunities for Theorem, and the executive will partner with the Research and Partnerships to execute on these opportunities to develop products that are attractive to a broad range of investors and offer a long-term, sustainable revenue stream for the firm. This executive will lead and build out the Capital Markets team and collaborate across the firm, particularly with CIO, CEO, Partnerships, Legal, Finance and Operations, Risk, Engineering, and Research teams.
As a member of the firm’s senior leadership team, this individual will be held accountable for the capital markets team's performance against objectives, participate in strategic executive discussions, provide insights on markets, execute financing strategies that enhance fund performance and liquidity, and drive new capital markets revenue and business opportunities.
What You'll Do
You will be responsible for the team’s execution and maintenance of all capital markets activities, including, but not limited to, capital raising, managing transaction timelines and deal teams, and investor outreach, in partnership with the CIO.
- Build and lead an industry-leading capital markets team to support Theorem’s ongoing liquidity goals and provide scale to continue to rapidly grow AUM
- Create a funding process that is scalable and repeatable so that all members of the team can lead any of the key parts of the strategic plan
- Execute a THRM ABS deal each quarter to become a programmatic issuer and an easily scalable process
- Increase the number and quality of investors participating in the securitization deals
- Obtain a rating from a major rating agency
- Deliver new revenue opportunities for the firm
- Partner and collaborate with colleagues and groups across the firm:
- With the Chief Investment Officer, research, and portfolio specialists in ongoing portfolio management and construction
- With the Chief Investment Officer on ABS trading and securities portfolio management
- Lead Theorem’s funding strategy, in coordination with the executive team
- Clear funding plan and strategy for ’23 and beyond
- Expand and diversify warehouse relationships
- Evolve the THRM ABS program into deals with even more than the 5 platforms already included
- Evolve the THRM ABS program to include a pre-funding component as a staple of the program
- Create a securitization plan and program for additional asset classes beyond PL
- Build out Theorem’s capabilities in private debt placement (4a2) programs to diversify capital sources
What We’re Looking For
- Minimum 14+ years of professional experience in structured products
- Thought partner/leader on risk management of our ABS issuance as well as appropriate structure
- Brings domain expertise and gravity while not being afraid to get hands dirty
- Strong understanding of capital markets, corporate finance, leverage strategy, and global markets
- Familiarity with debt capital markets, credit structures, loan syndications, and structuring bond transactions
- Extensive transaction experience in various ABS asset classes, particularly in consumer/auto, CLOs, and residential ABS
- Esoteric structuring experience is highly appreciated
- Knowledge of rating agency methodology, and rating agency processes
- Love reading legal documents and understanding complex legal frameworks
- Experience with Intex, Bloomberg, Excel, etc.
- Carries a wide network of relationships with relevant investors and ABS equity/residual buyers
- Experience originating and sourcing new investors
- Strong analytical skills with a passion for problem-solving and tackling new challenges
- Strong interpersonal and client interaction skills
- Transparency & intellectual honesty
- Welcomes and adapts behavior to feedback
- Collaborative and team-oriented
- Ability to identify risk and surface issues
- Entrepreneurial and motivated by a desire to make a significant impact in a dynamic and growing firm
- Expected full-time salary range between $250,000 to $300,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
- Advertised and actual salary ranges may differ by geographic area, work experience, education, and/or skill level.
We foster an environment that welcomes professionals with a diversity of backgrounds and ideas. We value professionals who are thoughtful, innovative, tenacious, and mission-driven. Every member of the team has a major impact on the company's success with visible contributions to the business. We encourage and reward growth, learning, and a solutions-seeking mindset. We offer a competitive salary and opportunity for equity ownership, generous benefits, and an inclusive and collaborative work environment. If you’re excited by the opportunities to create outsized impact as part of a world-class team, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can contact us at 415-489-0457.
Theorem does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Something looks off?