Sr. Backend Engineer
Pursuit of truth in credit.
By using machine learning to anticipate and manage risk in credit, we’re empowering our partners and lenders to unlock opportunity and access for more borrowers, everywhere.
We strive to be the preferred partner to lending platforms, providing not only access to capital but also underwriting technology capabilities to allow innovative lending platforms to grow their business.
Our firm is made up of 60+ professionals working in San Mateo (HQ) and New York, working in-office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We are passionate, hard-working, relentlessly-resourceful, impact-focused individuals. We deeply value intellectual curiosity, independence of thought, creative idea generation, empathy, and close collaboration.
What You'll Do
As a Sr. Backend Engineer on Theorem’s Technical Staff, you’ll work alongside quantitative researchers and engineers to drive outcomes across our ML-driven underwriting stack. You’ll build and maintain infrastructure, tools, and experimentation frameworks for the broader credit underwriting system. You’ll also build and maintain the systems that serve our underwriting system live to our partners.
You’ll have the opportunity to contribute to one of the fastest-growing areas at Theorem in the following areas:
- Developing infrastructure for model training and governance
- Managing and developing the infrastructure for our research team
- Building and curating the most critical data pipelines that feed our model training systems
- Developing CI/CD processes to deploy models into production environments
- Responding to production incidents that involve our partner-facing APIs & model training/serving systems
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or a related technical field
- 4+ years of professional software development experience with a demonstrated track record of ownership/delivering projects end-to-end
- Understanding of how to build, deploy, debug, and operate distributed systems that run in a containerized cloud environment
- Experience with cloud infrastructure providers (AWS preferred) and/or Kubernetes
- Experience using tools for monitoring services (Prometheus/Grafana, Datadog, etc.)
- Working knowledge of the Python programming language (including scientific Python tools such as Pandas, NumPy, scikit-learn, etc.)
- Experience deploying customer/end-user facing APIs and responding to production incident
- Prior experience with Kubernetes native orchestration tools (Flyte, Kubeflow, Argo)
- Exposure to infrastructure management tools like Helm and/or Kustomize
- Expected full-time salary range between $150,000 to $220,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
- Advertised and actual salary ranges may differ by geographic area, work experience, education, and/or skill level.
We foster an environment that welcomes professionals with a diversity of backgrounds and ideas. We value professionals who are thoughtful, innovative, tenacious, and mission-driven. Every member of the team has a major impact on the company's success with visible contributions to the business. We encourage and reward growth, learning, and a solutions-seeking mindset. We offer a competitive salary and opportunity for equity ownership, generous benefits, and an inclusive and collaborative work environment. If you’re excited by the opportunities to create outsized impact as part of a world-class team, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can contact us at 415-489-0457.
Theorem does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Something looks off?