Library Production: Development Scientist
Terray Therapeutics is a venture-backed biotechnology company led by pioneers and long-time leaders in artificial intelligence, synthetic chemistry, automation, and nanotechnology. We’re generating chemical data purpose-built to propel drug discovery into the information age — and we’re doing it on a larger scale and faster than has ever before been possible.
Our closed loop system generates precise chemical datasets at unrivaled scale that work seamlessly with AI to systematically map biochemical interactions between small molecules and causes of disease. Iterative cycles of virtual molecular design and experimentation power AI and machine learning models, which in turn guide the next cycle of design. With a chemistry engine that measures billions of interactions daily and becomes increasingly precise with every cycle, we can answer an unprecedented array of questions — deriving insights that enable us to predictably create drugs for patients in need.
The foundation of everything we do is our Library production team. They rapidly synthesize encoded combinatorial libraries on nanoscale beads to provide millions of unique compounds with the highest purity and greatest diversity in the industry. These libraries are then decoded and screened against targets of interest to provide Terray’s unique precision data at scale. The computational and data sciences team uses this data to power machine learning and other models that then lead to the design of new and improved libraries. This forms the closed loop process – with Library production as a core competency and foundational to Terray’s success.
Terray is currently seeking a Library Production Development Scientist who will be accountable for the further development of process and quality control in the Library production workflow. In this role, the candidate will collaborate with Production team management to monitor key performance indicators of Terray’s production workflows, facilitate process transfer from the Automation and R&D teams into a production setting, manage corrective and preventive action investigations, and lead root cause analysis investigations to drive success across the Production platforms.
The role includes but is not limited to:
- Collaborating with Platform Chemistry and Automation R&D functions to ensure that rigorous quality control checks are in place across the Libraries lifecycle
- Collaborating with internal partners to identify areas for improvement and developing and implementing these in conjunction with the broader production group
- Ensuring compliance with quality and safety standards within Library production
- Lead quality control implementation and documentation of standard workflows and operating procedures across the Library team
- Develop workflows to monitor and track system utilization and performance and work closely with management to optimize platform throughput to feed Terray’s pipeline
- Responsible for technical transfer activities, such as cross functional collaboration with appropriate teams to ensure proper processes development and hand-off
- Lead quality control implementation and documentation of standard workflows and operating procedures across Production teams
- Author and review guideline documents, standard operating procedures, technical protocols, product impact assessments
- Initiate and manage troubleshooting investigations and facilitate resolution of these through implementation of corrective actions to address root causes with Production management
- Plan, design, execute, and document laboratory studies related to formulation, quality control, and process development in support of platform standardization
- Provide support to production teams through process capability analysis, troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and product impact assessments for non-conformance investigations and process changes / improvements
- Collaborating with stakeholders to define production bottlenecks, designing and overseeing improvements to the production platform, implementing and overseeing execution on the workflow changes and rollout
- Monitoring production process key performance indicators to identify issues and facilitate resolution
- Partnering with other operations and R&D functions to ensure the library production team has the training, materials and equipment available to them to meet demand
Experience and Qualifications
Given the company’s size, anticipated growth and fast-paced environment, the organization requires a candidate who has a track record of being thoughtful, high energy and can work effectively across the interface of production and R&D to further enhance Terray’s next generation drug discovery capabilities.
Part of Terray Therapeutics’ success is nurtured by a hands-on work environment where everyone is accountable, everyone is vested in a vision of excellence, and everyone actively takes part in the success of the business. Terray Therapeutics supports a positive work environment of engaged employees who feel appreciated, recognized and free to be creative.
- PhD in Chemistry or related disciples with at least 3 years’ relevant industrial / commercial experience; Master’s degree in Chemistry or related disciplines with at least 5 years' relevant industrial / commercial experience; or Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or related disciplines with at least 8 years' relevant industrial / commercial experience
- At least 3 years’ experience managing a team in a production environment
- Proven ability to develop and execute to time bound schedules
- Experience with solid phase synthesis
- Experience with DEL synthesis
- Experience with large datasets
- Desire to be a team player in a cross-functional environment
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with fluorescence microscopy
- Experience with liquid handling automation
- Experience with compound management workflows
She/he will exhibit the ability to work well under pressure to provide results in a short timeframe. The company is looking for a highly responsive, goal oriented individual who will bring significant energy and drive to the consistent and reliable execution of Terray’s Library Production to help us achieve our mission to advance human health.
$130,000 - $165,000 (annually) depending on seniority; participation in the Company's option plan; 3% 401K contribution; full benefits