Associate/Director of DMPK
Terray Therapeutics is a venture-backed biotechnology company led by pioneers and long- time leaders in artificial intelligence, biology, medicinal chemistry, automation, and nanotechnology. We’re generating chemical data purpose-built to propel drug discovery into the information age — and we’re doing it on a larger scale and faster than has ever before been possible.
Our closed loop system generates precise chemical datasets at unrivaled scale that work seamlessly with AI to systematically map biochemical interactions between small molecules and causes of disease. Iterative cycles of virtual molecular design and experimentation power AI and machine learning models, which in turn guide the next cycle of design. With a chemistry engine that measures billions of interactions daily and becomes increasingly precise with every cycle, we can answer an unprecedented array of questions — deriving insights that enable us to predictably create drugs for patients in need.
Terray Therapeutics has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and qualified Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics (DMPK) scientist with experience contributing to preclinical DMPK activities for small molecule drug development. This is a strategic role working closely with a cross-functional team of biologists, chemists and data scientists, supporting preclinical DMPK functions, and providing subject matter expertise on ADME and Pharmacokinetic Pharmacodynamic modeling in support of early discovery projects. The successful candidate must have hands on experience leading the design, analysis, and interpretation of preclinical studies. This role is key to the development of Terray's drug discovery pipeline, transitioning from early-stage preclinical programs to IND filing. This role will report to the Head of Preclinical Development. This role can be based in Monrovia or remote and willing to travel as needed.
The core responsibilities of this position are:
- Establish and build Terray’s DMPK function and provide strategic and technical expertise on the execution of in vitro ADME and in vivo PK, PK-PD, efficacy and toxicology studies to support programs through preclinical optimization, IND enabling and early clinical studies
- Work closely with scientists in the chemistry, computational and data sciences, and biology teams to input on molecular design ideas on- and off-platform to generate novel chemical matter with desirable drug-like properties
- Working initially with CROs, design and execute in vitro ADME, in vivo PK and PK- PD studies, and interpret the results to understand the properties of chemical series identified and optimized in Terray’s platform
- As the pipeline expands, build a small DMPK team to bring relevant in vitro ADME assays and analytical testing in house, including setting up lab space, purchasing equipment, developing and mentoring junior DMPK team members
- Work closely with computational and data sciences team and automation team to identify and employ new technologies and strategies to address current and future ADME challenges
- Provide expertise in human PK and efficacious dose prediction of drug candidate molecules using a variety of modelling approaches
- Communicate progress and results at cross-functional team meetings
- Write relevant reports and sections in regulatory filings for IND-enabling work
Experience and Qualifications
Given the company’s size, anticipated growth and fast-paced environment, the organization requires a scientific leader who is thoughtful, high energy and can work collaboratively with teams across the company to further enhance our next generation drug discovery capabilities.
Part of Terray Therapeutics’ success is nurtured by a hands-on work environment where everyone is accountable, everyone is vested in a vision of excellence, and everyone actively takes part in the success of the business. Terray Therapeutics supports a positive work environment comprised of engaged employees who feel appreciated, recognized and free to be creative.
- Ph.D. in Pharmacokinetics, Drug metabolism, or related field
- 6+ years of industry experience working on orally available small molecule drugs
- DMPK expert, with a strong understanding of the principles of ADME and its applications throughout drug development.
- Track record managing the ADME, PK and PK/PD screening in small molecule drug discovery programs, demonstrated by successful advancement of discovery programs to IND filing
- A solid understanding of regulatory guidelines on DMPK studies to support early drug development
- Hands-on experience in conducting in vitro and in vivo experiments and use of in silico modeling tools to characterize preclinical ADME/PK and DDI profiles is required
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, critical/strategic thinking ability, and capability of integrating data across multiple sources are required
- Detail-oriented, strong work ethic, self-motivated, and proven ability to work and collaborate with cross-functional teams, and to develop strong working relationships to address issues and advance programs
- Excellent communicator and presenter who can work both as a team player and a project driver
- $160-240K (Associate Director)
- $200-300K (Director)
- Participation in the Company's option plan; 3% 401K contribution; full benefits.