Head of Payments - NL
Remote is solving global remote organizations’ biggest challenge: employing anyone anywhere compliantly. We make it possible for businesses big and small to employ a global team by handling global payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance. Check out remote.com/how-it-works to learn more or if you’re interested in adding to the mission, scroll down to apply now.
Please take a look at remote.com/handbook to learn more about our culture and what it is like to work here. Not only do we encourage folks from all ethnic groups, genders, sexuality, age and abilities to apply, but we prioritize a sense of belonging. You can check out independent reviews by other candidates on Glassdoor or look up the results of our candidate surveys to see how others feel about working and interviewing here.
All of our positions are fully remote. You do not have to relocate to join us!
This is an exciting time to join Remote and make a personal difference in the global employment space as the Head of our Dutch Payments entity, joining our Payments & Fintech department.
We are building a Financial Services subgroup within Remote. This subgroup is in the process of obtaining amongst others a financial licence in the Netherlands, an EU payment service provider licence. You will be an integral member of a growing organization that allows people from all over the world access global work opportunities.
Netherlands and the European Union represent a significant growth opportunity for Remote across all its products, and we need a highly driven self-starter to be the face of Remote with the Dutch regulators and drive the Payment Institution license application process from start to finish. You will liaise with the regulators, stay abreast of regulatory changes, and ensure that Remote always meets regulatory expectations. You will also be relied upon to share guidance and expertise on Dutch and EU regulatory requirements. Finally, once the license is granted, you will be expected to continuously monitor the health of the payment entity.
- 7+ years payments experience in Compliance, Strategy, Legal, Operations, or Entity management departments, preferably in the payments infrastructure or mass payout solution spaces
- 3+ years experience with a Payments Institution, or electronic Money Institution regulated by the DNB (De Nederlandsche Bank)
- Understanding of both European payments legislation (e.g. Payment Services Directive II) and Dutch financial legislation
- Good understanding of payments products and solutions across the board, at feature level and/or a good understanding of businesses in the payments ecosystem
- Effective communicator, with experience in managing and influencing internal and external stakeholders
- Commercial outlook with ability to assess comprehensive impacts to the business
- Consistent track record leading complex projects across large and distributed organizations
- Strong analytical mindset, able to use data to tell a story. Must be a confident self-starter
- Writes and speaks fluent English
- Must be a Dutch resident
- Day to day lead of the Dutch payments entity. Represent Remote externally with regulators, government officials and industry bodies
- Primary point of contact with the Dutch regulator during the application process, as well as the “run” phase once license is granted
- Foster and build close relationship with the Dutch regulator, and ensure the payments entity remains compliant with regulatory requirements
- Lead Payment Entity Board meetings (agenda, materials, and minutes). Ensure the Board is fully equipped to supervise the business of the entity and its financial affairs.
- Act as a key representative for audits & exams ensuring detailed planning and preparation ahead of time
- Develop detailed understanding and aligned plans for all activities performed by the entity to anticipate and mitigate risks
- Deeply understand the regulatory requirements on Remote’s product design. Integrate cross functionally, working closely across Legal, Compliance, Tax, Product, Finance, Payments, and senior management to ensure current regulatory requirements are understood as they apply to Remote and fulfilled with future requirements adequately planned for
- Deliver strong, clear governance as required by external regulations and internal Remote policies
- You'll report to: Senior Director, Head of Payments
- Team: Payments
- Location: For this position we need the applicants to be based in the Netherlands
- Start date: As soon as possible
- (async) Profile review
- Interview with recruiter
- Interview with future manager
- Interview with head of compliance
- Interview with team member
- Interview with consultant
- (async) Offer
- Reference Check
How to apply
Please fill out the form below. Don't forget to add your CV (ideally as a PDF) and a cover letter (at most a single page) explaining why do you think there's a match between this particular role and your profile. Thank you!
- work from anywhere
- unlimited personal time off (minimum 4 weeks)
- quarterly company-wide day off for self care
- flexible working hours (we are async)
- 16 weeks paid parental leave
- mental health support services
- stock options
- learning budget
- home office budget & IT equipment
- budget for local in-person social events or co-working spaces
How you’ll plan your day (and life)
We work async at Remote which means you can plan your schedule around your life (and not around meetings). Read more at remote.com/async.
You will be empowered to take ownership and be proactive. When in doubt you will default to action instead of waiting. Your life-work balance is important and you will be encouraged to put yourself and your family first, and fit work around your needs.
If that sounds like something you want, apply now!
How to apply
- Please fill out the form below and upload your CV with a PDF format.
- We kindly ask you to submit your application and CV in English, as this is the standardised language we use here at Remote.
- If you don’t have an up to date CV but you are still interested in talking to us, please feel free to add a copy of your LinkedIn profile instead.
We will ask you to voluntarily tell us your pronouns at interview stage, and you will have the option to answer our anonymous demographic questionnaire when you apply below. As an equal employment opportunity employer it’s important to us that our workforce reflects people of all backgrounds, identities, and experiences and this data will help us to stay accountable. We thank you for providing this data, if you chose to.