Director, In Vivo Technologies
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
Recursion is at the forefront of reimagining drug discovery from hit identification through clinical development. We are looking for a Director of In Vivo Technologies to act as a thought leader and change driver in how we plan, execute, and understand pharmacology studies in preclinical species. With a rapidly growing portfolio of high quality drug discovery projects, this critical role will build industrial, broadly applicable solutions to inform likely clinical success in close partnership with project teams and in house builder teams. You will impact all phases of drug discovery and early development. The Director will envision how to leverage Recursion’s unique technologies to broadly impact our entire portfolio. In this role, you will:
- Impact the future of TechBio by manifesting Recursion’s vision of industrialization in in vivo pharmacology
Accelerate team success with expert translational guidance on model selection and execution, deeply engage with project teams to drive experiments that answer critical questionsLead a team of high delivery in vivo pharmacologists that serve as key translational partners for our drug discovery teamsLeverage Recursion’s technologies to reimagine how we plan, execute, and evaluate in vivo studies in support of evolving drug discovery
- Partner with diverse functions from discovery, clinical, engineering, and more to influence the future state of Recursion and the TechBio industry
- Capably communicate highly technical in vivo pharmacology data and strategies to a diverse audience, including senior management, when necessary
This position is based at our Milpitas, CA site, which houses our vivarium. Travel to our Salt Lake City headquarters will be expected as needed (~20%)
The Team You’ll Join
Reporting to the VP of Preclinical Sciences, you will join Recursion's Medicines department. The team is dedicated to leveraging translational planning in the earliest phases of discovery projects, enabling acceleration of programs from hit identification to candidate selection. The Preclinical Sciences team encompasses in vivo pharmacology, vivarium operations, DMPK/BA, discovery formulations, and analytical chemistry.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD with 7 years experience OR MS with 10 years OR BS with 15 years experience in in vivo pharmacology within the pharmaceutical industry
- 5+ years experience leading and mentoring a team of scientists working on studies both internally and with external partners
- Proven ability to strategically explore novel approaches and new technologies to transform the design and interpretation of in vivo studies
- Experience implementing new technologies, platforms, and workflows at company level
- Demonstrated success in impacting the advancement of drug discovery projects with in vivo pharmacology strategies that rely on patient translation to inform the right experiment
- Broad experience with models in oncology, neuroscience, and other disease areas including incorporation of clinically translatable biomarkers
- Experience tailoring communication style to the target audience, organizational tendencies, and scientific rigor are essential
- Experience authoring regulatory documents supporting early clinical development is preferred
How You’ll be Supported
- Regular 1:1’s with the Preclinical Sciences VP and cross-functional leaders and peers for feedback and support
- Participation in coaching like BetterUp for leadership skills and development programs
- Annual support for professional development through internal learning and collaboration as well as attendance of external conferences
- New technical tools and approaches supported by robust teams of builders including product management, data science, engineering and computational teams
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.