Engineering Manager, HTA
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
At Recursion, we are pioneering the integration of technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science, and engineering to modernize drug discovery and development. Today we have 5 drugs in clinic, 2 in preclinic and 2 in late discovery. There are more than a dozen early discovery and research programs in oncology, neuroscience, inflammation & immunology, and rare disease. Since 2017, we have approximately doubled the capacity of our phenomics platform each year and scaled the number of executed phenomic experiments to up to 2.2 million every week, resulting in >21 petabytes of proprietary high-dimensional data. Reporting to the Associate Director of Engineering, for the High Throughput Anchor (HTA), the Engineering Manager will work to provide first-in-class capabilities and infrastructure that accelerate and enable multi-omics data processing.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor - You will share your technical and nontechnical knowledge and experiences, delivering impact, learning, and growth across teams at Recursion. We believe that the best work comes from working across organizational boundaries and you will have opportunities to partner with groups across the business.
- Enable your teams for scale - You will support your engineering team to operationalize and platformize multi-omics data processing. Provide technical assistance to the team, facilitating their ability to scale effectively.
- Create a culture of platforms - You will partner to drive the vision and adoption of platforms broadly at Recursion, advocate for cross-functional teams and leaders to accelerate work using the platforms we have, and understand their needs to inform the platforms we will build.
- Build relatability into a heterogeneous dataset. At Recursion, we generate datasets based on a wide swath of diverse biological models and treatment approaches. You'll work with Data Scientists to build relatability and queryability into these datasets so they can be used in five years to answer the sorts of questions we haven't even thought of asking yet.
- Provide visibility into operations. You'll create tools to help analyze experiment output and track the provenance of key drug development decisions.
Salt Lake City or Toronto
The Team You’ll Join
The Insight Generation team develops products for every step of the process of exploring biological data. This includes designing, tracking, and executing experiments, transmitting and archiving the resulting data, and running arbitrary analysis code against all that we have discovered. This is an ideal team for someone who isn't fazed by ambiguity and is eager to tackle challenging issues. It's a perfect environment for those who adapt easily to change and strive in dynamic situations. If working cross-functionally with leaders across different areas appeals to you, and you're skilled at defining priorities collaboratively, you'll fit right in.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Experience leading technical teams using both technical and interpersonal skills to achieve results. We don’t specify a minimum number of years of experience but we are looking for a manager who has a strong growth mindset and is excited to continue that growing and evolving
- Demonstrates a past record of learning from, and teaching peers in areas of performance, scalability, and system architecture.
- Significant experience as a software engineer, working on multi-tier systems.
- Experience delivering projects with significant ambiguity and technical complexity, ideally spanning multiple production systems and involving diverse technologies.
- A people-first mindset. Despite the deadlines, we always prioritize supporting our coworkers in their growth and experience.
Biology or chemistry background is not necessary, but intellectual curiosity is a must!
How You’ll be Supported
- Peer mentor assigned for onboarding during first 90 days
- Regular 1:1s with supervisor for support and feedback
- Leadership Training
- Dedicated sessions to walkthrough services/systems, that you will support
- 1on1 introductions with cross functional leaders, that you will partner closely with
- Opportunities to work with leadership coaches
- A support group of peer engineering managers
At Recursion, we believe that every employee should be compensated fairly. Based on the skill and level of experience required for this role, the estimated current annual base range for this role is:
- Developing: Check back soon!
- Skilled: Check back soon!
- Expert: Check back soon!
To learn more about our level within levels, click here.
You will also be eligible for bonuses and equity compensation + our comprehensive benefits package for United States based candidates. The range displayed on each job posting reflects target ranges for US new hire salaries and is determined by job, level, and market factors.
During the interview selection process, you will connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who will be your advocate and ally to ensure you receive the appropriate compensation that meets your needs for your skills, experience, and relevant education/training, while also reviewing our very competitive total rewards package.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.