Senior Scientist, Computational Oncology
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
As part of the Computational Oncology team, you will be at the forefront of reimagining oncology drug discovery from first principles using Recursion’s massive data capabilities. You will have the freedom and support to lead multiple computational and/or therapeutics projects from launch to preclinical development, with the ultimate goal of bringing life-changing therapeutics to patients living with cancer.
- Discover and develop new analytics and workflows for leveraging Recursion’s unique capacity to perform >1 million experiments per week for oncology target ID, program nomination and machine learning (ML)-enabled biomarker development. Work on complex biomarker development for novel therapeutics in areas such as colorectal cancer, breast cancer, and others.
- Deliver new computational approaches and therapeutic programs into Recursion’s oncology pipeline. Iterate quickly to move from ideation to validation on multiple projects at an accelerated pace.
- Industrialize approaches and analyses to not only solve for the current project, but also to accelerate future projects and scale the impact that we can have.
- Synthesize diverse datasets (internal and external) to accelerate insight- and program-generation from Recursion’s phenomics data. Strategically design experiments and define novel datasets that will advance our capabilities and answer critical questions for drug discovery.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Recursion’s data science and ML teams to further advance Recursion’s ability to interpret and translate large-scale phenomics data into therapeutic programs.
This position is based at our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT.
The Team You’ll Join
We are building an interdisciplinary, modern oncology group centered on machine learning and inference-based discovery from first principles. Close collaboration between computational biologists across therapeutic areas and with data scientists on the core build teams provides a strong network of feedback and support in setting timelines, refining ideas, automating repetitive workflows, piloting, productionalizing and more. Our group is a bold, agile, diverse collective of biological, computational, drug discovery, and machine learning scientists deeply focused on the singular goal of bringing new cancer therapeutics to patients at an accelerated pace. You will collaborate extensively with data scientists, chemists, engineers, commercial strategists, and biologists throughout the organization to advance milestones and provide insights to further advance Recursion’s capabilities. Essential attributes to this role include a bold, execution-first attitude and passion for deploying rigorous science to bring life-changing cancer therapies to patients.
The Experience You’ll Need
Scientist, Computational Oncology
- Training in applying scientific methods in context of advanced post-graduate degree in a relevant field (PhD preferred)
- Experience applying computational methods (including probabilistic, statistical, and/or machine learning techniques) to analyze complex biological and/or human clinical data
- Demonstrated experience mining and integrating large multimodal datasets to identify targets and/or pathways relevant to drug discovery in cancer (familiarity with oncology relevant datasets preferred)
- Efficiency in advancing drug-discovery projects, carrying and prioritizing among multiple projects and efficiently advancing projects to proof of concept
- Fluency and experience working with high-level programming language such as Python or R for complex data analysis
- Exceptional data visualization skills
- Bold, passionate and highly collaborative with experience working in cross-functional teams
Sr. Scientist, Computational Oncology
- PhD in a relevant field (bioinformatics, statistics, quantitative pharmacology, cancer/cell biology, etc.) with 3+ years of experience applying professional competencies to fundamental problems in oncology drug discovery
- General understanding of small molecule drug discovery and pharmacology
- Experience in efficiently advancing drug program projects from proof of concept to preclinical. Industry oncology drug discovery experience preferred
Nice To Have:
- Experience designing high throughput experiments to address biological questions, either on your own or in collaboration with bench scientists
- Experience analyzing data from imaging- and/or genomics-based modalities
How You'll be Supported:
- Training on Recursion’s culture and values and our Drug Discovery & Development processes to provide insight to our unique approach and strategy for success
- Regular 1:1s with supervisor and colleagues provide opportunities for support and feedback
- Opportunity to attend conferences and workshops in Oncology and / or Computational Biology
- Multiple opportunities for leadership and mentorship training as well as working with cross-functional teams
At Recursion, we believe that every employee should be compensated fairly. Based on the skill and level of experience required for this role, the estimated current annual base range for this role is:
- Developing: $170,000
- Skilled: $179,000
- Expert: $192,000
To learn more about our level within levels, click here.
You will also be eligible for bonuses and equity compensation + our comprehensive benefits package for United States based candidates. The range displayed on each job posting reflects target ranges for US new hire salaries and is determined by job, level, and market factors.
During the interview selection process, you will connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who will be your advocate and ally to ensure you receive the appropriate compensation that meets your needs for your skills, experience, and relevant education/training, while also reviewing our very competitive total rewards package.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.