Associate Director of Data Engineering
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will be building a platform that accelerates drug discovery with machine learning. By leveraging your experience in machine learning, software engineering, infrastructure, and data, you will:
- Automate, and streamline ML workflows with a mixture of off-the-shelf and custom tooling as needed
- Build, operate and improve the infrastructure and abstractions to support our emerging research capabilities
- Deploy, monitor, and optimize DL models in a continuous-use, high-throughput, biological research platform that executes millions of custom cellular experiments weekly
- Work collaboratively alongside machine learning engineers, researchers and product managers
The Team You’ll Join
Recursion has built a unique dataset (over 1 million unique biological perturbations profiled in a high-dimensional biological assay, making up nearly 20 PB of highly-relatable data) and a unique approach to phenotypic drug discovery using our inference-based Recursion Map to predict tens of billions of relationships between disease models and therapeutic candidates.
You will join a team of software and machine learning engineers working to standardize and automate the process of training, evaluating, and deploying deep learning models. We are expanding the ML applications we support and maximizing the use of our supercomputer. The capabilities you provide to machine learning scientists will allow them to have increased understanding of our models and move them into production with confidence.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Familiarity with the full lifecycle of ML and software development in production, including:
- Data preparation, model training, evaluation, and monitoring
- Releasing, and maintaining ML products
- Authoring well tested, scalable, documented code, peer reviews, CI/CD
- A team-first mentality, and eagerness to help your colleagues
- Nice to haves: PyTorch, NumPy, Pandas, Horovod, GCP, Hybrid Cloud, Linux, CUDA, Docker, Kubernetes, BigQuery, large scale distributed systems
At Recursion, we believe that every employee should be compensated fairly. Based on the skill and level of experience required for this role, the estimated current annual base range for this role is:
- Developing: $243,000 CAD
- Skilled: $257,000 CAD
- Expert: $275,000 CAD
To learn more about our level within levels, click here.
You will also be eligible for bonuses and equity compensation + our comprehensive benefits package for United States based candidates. The range displayed on each job posting reflects target ranges for US new hire salaries and is determined by job, level, and market factors.
During the interview selection process, you will connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who will be your advocate and ally to ensure you receive the appropriate compensation that meets your needs for your skills, experience, and relevant education/training, while also reviewing our very competitive total rewards package.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.