Research Intern - Metabolic Disease
The heart of insitro's strategy is the combination and application of machine learning to disease biology at scale, and novel analyses from clinical datasets that address important shortcomings in the target discovery and drug development process. To accomplish that, we are putting together an incredible team of highly talented biologists and data scientists with a passion for target discovery and advancement, and who want to make a difference to this important problem.
You will be joining the Metabolic Disease Therapeutic Area, and your research will contribute to our efforts in Obesity and associated pathologies. You will be involved in characterizing RNAi modalities (eg. siRNA) and developing cellular model systems related to cardiometabolism, specifically utilizing primary and immortalized adipocyte cell systems. Additional responsibilities may involve mechanistic studies in cellular systems to understand the impact of various perturbations on disease outcome. Your responsibilities will evolve as the project needs evolve, and you will be able to participate in and learn in a fast-paced and exciting biotech environment. You will be reporting to the Sr. Director of Metabolic Disease Research. This is primarily a lab-based role in our South San Francisco office, onsite 5X/ week
- In vitro cell culture and cell line maintenance, expansion and differentiation (eg. primary and immortalized adipose cells)
- Implementing cell-based protocols to model metabolic disease pathways
- Evaluation of RNAi interventions, cellular perturbations or biological pathways in cell models utilizing RNA extraction, qPCR, functional assays and/or Western blotting
- Potential for cellular engineering or manipulations using CRISPR, and expansion to iPSC derived cell lines
- Entry and maintenance of experimental records in electronic lab notebook, and presentation of data at group meetings
- PhD candidate or recent PhD graduate in the Biological sciences (eg. cell biology, molecular biology, pharmacology, bioengineering, biochemistry)
- Proficient experience with mammalian cell culture techniques
- Hands-on experience with cell based functional assays, qPCR, Western blots and/or ELISAs
- Experience with adapting and troubleshooting novel protocols from literature precedent
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $55/hr - $65/hr. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate's skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
In addition, insitro also provides our interns:
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees on our base plans)
- Excellent mental health and well-being support
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
insitro is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We believe diversity, equity, and inclusion need to be at the foundation of our culture. We work hard to bring together diverse teams–grounded in a wide range of expertise and life experiences–and work even harder to ensure those teams thrive in inclusive, growth-oriented environments supported by equitable company and team practices. All candidates can expect equitable treatment, respect, and fairness throughout the interview process.