(Senior) Vice President, Machine Learning
The heart of insitro's strategy is the development of novel, cutting edge methods in machine learning that address key bottlenecks in the drug development pipeline. To accomplish that, we have been building an incredible team of highly talented machine learners and data scientists who want to make a difference to this important constellation of problems.
Our work spans a broad range of data modalities, including: genetics; diverse high-content cellular phenotypes (omics, fixed and live cell imaging); high-content, longitudinal clinical data (including imaging, omics, and EHRs); molecule structure and properties; and more. Some of these data are generated in our internal, high throughput wet labs, whereas others are obtained via partnerships with others. We deploy machine learning in generating these datasets, in analyzing them, and in integrating them to construct an integrated view of human biologic state and the ways in which it is affected both by disease and by therapeutic interventions. To this end, we have been building a world-class DSML (Data Science and Machine Learning) team, comprising machine learning scientists, data scientists, and research engineers.
In this leadership role, you will report directly to the CEO, and be a key member of insitro's executive team. We have a strong preference for this role to be based in the San Francisco Bay Area, but we are open to it being based elsewhere in the United States with the expectation of spending a week a month at least in our HQ (plus some ad hoc trips as needed).
Your responsibilities will include:
- Guide your team to develop and deploy ML methods for analyzing and building predictive models for biology and chemistry discovery that build on state-of-the-art approaches, while also accounting for the unique needs of biomedical data
- Lead and continue to grow our world-class DSML team, including building and mentoring a strong layer of managers who exemplify effective internal and x-functional leadership
- Work with colleagues in the therapeutic areas and in drug discovery to enable the use of machine learning models to select therapeutic interventions that are safe and effective
- Work with biologists and automation engineers to design experiments that generate datasets that are fit for purpose for machine learning, including ones generated explicitly for training ML models
- Work with other executives to lead the scientific direction of the company, including identifying technologies, data modalities, and data sets that are synergistic with machine learning methods and provide differentiated value
- Lead yearly and quarterly planning, set impactful goals, and align with cross-functional stakeholders
- Work in partnership with the software engineering team to ensure that your team implements good software engineering practices and generates robust, reusable platform components
- Collaborate with colleagues in corporate development to generate and support high value collaborations with data or pharma partners
- Partner in building the larger insitro team, setting the culture, and building alignment with company values
- Help to continue to build and cultivate the Board and the Scientific Advisory Board to ensure open and productive communication
- Represent the company within the machine learning and computational biology communities so as to enhance company visibility and stature
- PhD in technical field (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Bioinformatics, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
- Extensive experience with a broad spectrum of state-of-the-art ML methods, including probabilistic modeling and deep learning
- Significant familiarity with concepts in biology and medicine; experience working directly with biomedical data (genetics, omics, microscopy, clinical imaging) is a strong plus
- A strong track record in developing novel, cutting edge machine learning algorithms that go considerably beyond the use of standard methods, as demonstrated by publications in highly refereed venues or software platforms of comparable innovation
- 12+ years of work experience in a role involving ML method development for real world problems, ideally also in tasks that involve data at petabyte scale
- Demonstrated track record of building a top-notch ML team, including the ability to source, identify, recruit and effectively manage top talent
- 8+ years of experience leading a high-performance team, including setting a vision, and creating a culture of effective, high-quality methods development and reducing those methods to a practical implementation
- Ability to interact effectively across disciplinary boundaries, including with people from very diverse backgrounds
- A can-do attitude consistent with a small startup environment, including ability to move quickly, work hard, and do what it takes to be successful
- Passion for making a difference in the world
You will be joining a vibrant biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, yet is in a high-growth phase. A lot can change in this early and exciting phase, providing many opportunities for significant impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro's culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $300,000 - $375,000. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate's skills, education and experience, the level at which they are actually hired, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, insitro also provides our employees:
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees on our base plans), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
insitro is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We believe diversity, equity, and inclusion need to be at the foundation of our culture. We work hard to bring together diverse teams–grounded in a wide range of expertise and life experiences–and work even harder to ensure those teams thrive in inclusive, growth-oriented environments supported by equitable company and team practices. All candidates can expect equitable treatment, respect, and fairness throughout the interview process.