Scientist I, Metabolic Disorders
The heart of insitro's strategy is the combination and application of machine learning to disease biology at scale, and novel analyses from clinical datasets that address important shortcomings in the target discovery and drug development process. To accomplish that, we are putting together an incredible team of highly talented biologists and data scientists with a passion for target discovery and advancement, and who want to make a difference to this important problem.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, curious and driven individual for the role of Scientist in the Metabolic Disease therapeutic area. In this scientific role, you will help identify targets initially in the area of obesity, and advance them for preclinical validation and drug discovery.
Our initial efforts have focused on CRISPR-based screens and machine learning models in MASLD to generate a distinct pipeline of novel targets for therapeutic intervention. Our current efforts expand this approach to the area of obesity, with a focus on novel mechanisms and target tissues including adipose, muscle, gastrointestinal tract, kidney and CNS. With access to additional complex data, you will work with cross functional data science and machine learning teams to glean deeper insights into the pathophysiology of obesity. The scientist will provide wet-lab data and broader scientific insight to advance the best therapeutic targets. You will work in a collaborative, cross-functional team to identify and optimize drug candidates to the clinic. This is a lab-based role with an expectation to be onsite 5 days/week. You will report to the Senior Director, Metabolic Disorders.
- Provide direct hands-on experimental expertise in establishing cellular models of disease for CRISPR based screens or target validation
- Devise and run important go/no-go and mechanistic biology experiments to provide meaningful data related to target validation
- Guide projects as a necessary biology functional representative on project teams, with the goal of producing important data to advance targets from cells to preclinical models of disease to clinical candidate
- Advance the Metabolic TA pipeline by bringing in novel biology concepts and therapeutic hypotheses amenable to insitro's machine learning capabilities
- Provide scientific and technical guidance to colleagues and associates on aspects of metabolic disease
- Potentially manage and motivate associate scientist(s) in the metabolic disease functional area
- PhD in a biological science or related field (cell biology, pharmacology, biochemistry, genetics, physiology etc.) and 3+ years of additional post-graduate experience
- Understanding and passion in the biology of metabolic disease, MASLD, obesity, adiposity, muscle function, diabetes and/or related areas.
- Demonstrated expertise in cell-based, biochemical and/or functional assays and readouts utilizing state-of-the-art techniques (eg. CRISPR, Seahorse, expression analysis, protein modification)
- Scientific rigor, demonstrated critical thinking and curiosity
- Experience managing and/or training associate scientists in the laboratory setting
- Proficient level of experience in in vivo models
- Experience in iPSC models, especially in cell types relevant to metabolic disease such as hepatocytes, hypothalamic neurons, adipocytes
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $115,000 - $130,000. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate's skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, insitro also provides our employees:
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees on our base plans), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
insitro is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We believe diversity, equity, and inclusion need to be at the foundation of our culture. We work hard to bring together diverse teams–grounded in a wide range of expertise and life experiences–and work even harder to ensure those teams thrive in inclusive, growth-oriented environments supported by equitable company and team practices. All candidates can expect equitable treatment, respect, and fairness throughout the interview process.