Associate Director, Financial Planning & Analysis
insitro is changing the way that drugs are discovered and developed for patients. We are building a platform that generates novel insights from applying machine learning to a combination of high-quality cellular data generated in-house, and externally sourced human cohort data.
We are looking for a finance leader with a strong financial acumen and demonstrated Anaplan system experience in executing financial budgeting and actuals reporting within the Life Sciences industry. You are a strategic thinker who can collaborate to guide financial decision-making & reporting and elucidate considerations and recommendations grounded in financial analyses.
You will partner with the Accounting Team during the month-end close process to ensure that accrual and expenses are recorded accurately and promptly. Further, you will partner with Procurement, the Corporate Development and Strategy Team and our Portfolio and Program Management Team to further enhance internal operations and support important decisions regarding cash and portfolio management. You will work on multiple high impact finance projects for, and in partnership with, insitro's Executive Team and the Finance Leadership Team.
The opportunities for this role grow rapidly as our pipeline continues to progress. This is an exciting time to join and we are eager to find the right partner to, in a dynamic fashion, ensure our financial processes continue to support the needs of our rapidly changing organization. This is an onsite role that will operate 40% remotely. You will report to the Head of Strategic Finance.
Your Primary Responsibilities Include:
Budget and Forecast Planning
- Lead the annual budget and forecasting process across all departments, inclusive of the latest estimate (LE) re-forecast to refine expectations for the year
- Build models to analyze liquidity, cash concentration and cash forecasting
- Prepare financial budget and results Board presentations
- Prepare financial models to support operational initiatives and contemplated high dollar purchases
Financial Reporting & Variance Analyses
- Lead and present month-end financial close results deck
- Provide regular reporting and variance analyses to all departments to promote decision-making and alignment to our corporate objectives & identify opportunities for cost efficiencies
- Understand insitro's business model so that Finance's commentary goes beyond numbers and contextualizes data with business outcomes
- Partner with the Accounting Team on close processes around accruals and expenses, project code reporting and department and expense account reclasses
- Prepare monthly headcount tracking and forecasting for executive review
- Partner with Senior Leadership to evolve our capital allocation strategy and project level planning
- Create build vs. buy analyses for potential external services & CapEx requests
- Participate in special projects
System Enhancements, Process Improvement & Leadership
- Lead Anaplan system enhancements, issue resolution and cost center manager system access to ensure important partners have access to their dashboards and data to support their decision-making
- Continue to provide analytical support and suggestions regarding the implementation of planning systems and associated outputs; ensure Anaplan continues to meet the needs of our scaling organization
- Review purchase requisitions to ensure budget and financial compliance
- Contribute to continuous process improvements to identify opportunities to streamline and eliminate redundancies
- When applicable, hire and mentor a team to support company growth
You will join an exciting biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, while maintaining a culture of innovation. You will work as part of a close-knit team, learn career enhancing skills, and help shape insitro's culture, strategic direction, and overall impact!
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field
- 8+ years of relevant work experience preferably with a mix of private and public biotech life science companies
- MBA, CFA, CPA certification or consulting experience highly preferred
- Experience working in Anaplan and Oracle Cloud or equivalent systems
- Exceptional financial modeling, reporting metrics and presentation in Excel, Thinkcell, G-Sheets and G-Slides
- Excellent communication & strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to collaborate cross-functionally
- Ability to translate data into concrete recommendations and actions
Your Ways of Working and Alignment with insitro Values
- "Get Things Done": A self-starter who can prioritize and advance multiple projects under the resource, information and time constraints of an early stage startup
- "Engage with Respect": Prioritize a compassionate understanding of the needs and perspectives of insitro teams & leaders in every interaction and analysis
- "Own the Outcome": Proactively take ownership of solving problems
- Passion for making a difference in the world!
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $170,000 - $185,000. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate's skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, insitro also provides our employees:
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
insitro is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We believe diversity, equity, and inclusion need to be at the foundation of our culture. We work hard to bring together diverse teams–grounded in a wide range of expertise and life experiences–and work even harder to ensure those teams thrive in inclusive, growth-oriented environments supported by equitable company and team practices. All candidates can expect equitable treatment, respect, and fairness throughout the interview process.