Scientist II / Senior Scientist, Metabolic Disease
The heart of insitro’s strategy is the combination and application of machine learning to disease biology at scale, and novel analyses from clinical datasets that address key shortcomings in the target discovery and drug development process. To accomplish that, we are putting together an incredible team of highly talented biologists with a passion for target discovery and advancement, and who want to make a difference to this important problem.
In this scientific role, you will help identify targets in the metabolic disease therapeutic area (TA), and advance them for preclinical validation. Our initial efforts have focused on CRISPR-based screens in translatable phenotypic models in NAFLD to generate a distinct pipeline of novel targets for therapeutic intervention. Our future efforts strive to expand this approach in the area of obesity and adiposity to use machine learning to glean deeper insights into the biology of these phenotypes on cardiometabolic disease, and the selection of the best genes for advancement as therapeutic targets. While primarily a target discovery and validation role, there will be opportunities to lead projects to drug candidate nomination. This is an excellent opportunity for someone passionate about therapeutic discovery and making an impact to patients!
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Provide direct hands-on technical assistance by establishing cellular models of disease for CRISPR based screens or target validation
- Provide scientific and technical mentorship to colleagues and associates on aspects of metabolic disease
- Manage and motivate a group of associate scientists in the metabolic disease functional area
- Lead efforts to follow up on targets with the goal of producing key data to advance targets from cells to preclinical models of disease
You will be joining a growing biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, but yet is very much in formation. A lot can change in this early and exciting phase, providing many opportunities for significant impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients and find the next generation of therapeutics!
- PhD in a biological science related field (Cell bio, Biochem, etc.) with 5+ years of industry experience in target and/or drug discovery
- Significant understanding of the pathobiology of metabolic disease, NAFLD/obesity/adiposity or target discovery
- Proven track record of leading project teams to validate and prosecute targets in NAFLD/obesity/adiposity by building partnerships and collaborations with other scientists in formal team settings
- Capable of communicating effectively and collaborate with a diverse set of job functions
- Strong interpersonal skills that motivates others to excel and achieve their very best
- “Can-do” attitude passionate about delivering on goals while maintaining high scientific standards with integrity
Nice to Have:
- Management experiences
- iPSC models in hepatocytes, hypothalamic neurons or adipocytes
- Cell phenoytyping
- Deep understanding of metabolic disease targets
Compensation & Benefits at insitro:
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $125,000 - $155,000. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate’s skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data. This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, insitro also provides our employees:
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
insitro is a drug discovery and development company using machine learning (ML) and data at scale to decode biology for transformative medicines. At the core of insitro’s approach is the convergence of in-house generated multi-modal cellular data and high-content phenotypic human cohort data. We rely on these data to develop ML-driven, predictive disease models that uncover underlying biologic state and elucidate critical drivers of disease. These powerful models rely on extensive biological and computational infrastructure and allow insitro to advance novel targets and patient biomarkers, design therapeutics and inform clinical strategy. insitro is advancing a wholly owned and partnered pipeline of insights and therapeutics in neuroscience, oncology and metabolism. Since launching in 2018, insitro has raised over $700 million from top tech, biotech and crossover investors, and from collaborations with pharmaceutical partners. For more information on insitro, please visit www.insitro.com.