Microscopy Systems Engineer
The ability to extract biologically and clinically meaningful signals from high content imaging data is at the heart of insitro’s efforts to rethink drug development. At insitro, we develop and apply advanced cellular disease modeling techniques, sequencing and image acquisition automation that generates petabytes of high dimensional data. Machine learning methods allow us to construct disease-relevant phenotypes and to identify causal factors for those phenotypes, which help reveal new therapeutic interventions. As a Microscopy Systems Engineer, you will collaborate with our world-class teams in machine learning, data science, software engineering, lab automation, cell biology, and therapeutic areas to prototype, develop, and maintain innovative microscopy systems engineered to meet and exceed the needs of our biological science teams.
- Develop conventional and computational imaging modalities to identify therapeutic targets and developing drugs that have high efficacy and low toxicity as part of our drug-discovery platform
- Work with automation and machine learning engineers to generate microscopy datasets at scale that are fit for purpose for machine learning, including ones generated explicitly for training of machine learning models
- On-board scalable advanced microscopy technologies to uncover insights from sample types including fixed and live representations of complex (2D and 3D) human cell culture systems
- Develop and maintain software tools for orchestrating microscopy acquisitions using modern software practices (source control management, code review), often in collaboration with software engineers
You will be joining an exciting biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, but that is still very much in formation. You will have ample opportunities for growth and impact. You will work closely with a diverse and dedicated team, learn a range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
- M.S. or Ph.D. in optical engineering, computer science, biomedical engineering, physics, or related field, or equivalent relevant experience
- Hands-on experience working with imaging systems, and a solid understanding of microscope components and configurations
- Experience with at least one high-level programming language and the software development process (including source control management and code review)
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with people of a diverse group of backgrounds and job functions
- Passion for providing better medicine to patients in need!
Nice To Have
- Experience with the co-development of hardware and software for computational imaging and/or photography
- Significant experience developing software using python, C#, and/or C++ programming languages
- Experience with a CAD software package (Solidworks, NX, Inventor, Fusion360, OnShape, etc.) and component fabrication
- Understanding of machine learning approaches and techniques, especially for imaging
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $140,000 - $155,000. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate’s skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits