Sr Scientist/Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
About Hexagon Bio:
Hexagon Bio leverages a genomics-based platform and understanding of natural product evolution to develop next-generation medicines for human disease. Hexagon Bio's algorithms identify gene clusters that encode the machinery needed to produce specialized metabolites that can be harnessed against human disease targets. Our unique platform allows us to produce new chemical leads based on these findings. We use data science, genomics, synthetic biology, and automation to discover potent, evolutionarily refined small molecules and their cognate targets from fungal genomes, and apply medicinal chemistry when needed to optimize these molecules into truly transformative medicines.
Location: Menlo Park, California
We are expanding our medicinal chemistry team and have an opening at the Sr Scientist/Principal Scientist level. As a Scientist in the medicinal chemistry group at Hexagon Bio, you will work closely with the natural products chemistry and biology teams to launch new drug discovery projects and serve as a functional area project leader from project initiation through investigational new drug (IND) filing. You will lead a team of medicinal chemists, working together to design and synthesize optimized development candidates suitable for human clinical testing. You will have substantial opportunities to grow your career through interaction with the senior leadership team and cross-functional interaction with the many scientific disciplines at Hexagon Bio.
- Facilitate metabolite identification, isolation, and characterization
- Design of new drug candidates
- Multistep synthesis of new drug candidates
- Lead a team of medicinal chemists
- Serve as a functional area project lead for drug discovery projects
- Collaborate cross-functionally to advance Hexagon Bio’s pipeline
- Ph.D. degree in organic or medicinal chemistry and 6+ years of experience in an industrial medicinal chemistry setting
- Ability to lead teams and projects
- Track record of success advancing projects
- Ability to work at Menlo Park, CA laboratories
What We Offer:
- A flexible and dynamic work environment where you pave your own path, Hexagon cultivates employees' unique strengths at all levels and provides mobility across departments.
- Weekly “All Hands Meetings” provide an opportunity to share company and team updates. These meetings are rooted in our value of transparency. They are designed to foster a culture of collaboration, curiosity, and open communication.
- Competitive compensation and a robust benefits package: a comprehensive suite of medical, dental, and vision insurance plans through TriNet, which offers additional voluntary benefits (pet insurance, accident insurance, home & auto insurance, and more).
- Equity and a 401(k) plan.
- Rapid career advancement for driven performers.
- Access to scientific conferences all over the country throughout the year.
- A range of amenities, courtesy of the Menlo Park Labs business park, including shuttle, gym, rock-climbing wall, pool, sports courts, cafe, bike lockers, and free EV charging stations.
- Opportunities to engage with the Hexagon community through team-building events like our monthly Hexagon Happy Hour and holiday parties.
The salary range is dependent on the level of Scientist that is hired (Sr Scientist/Principal Scientist). The salary range for this full-time position is $140,000 to $205,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across California locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Hexagon Bio is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, membership in an organization, or any other non-merit factors.
Something looks off?