Senior Software Engineer (Firmware)
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (FIRMWARE)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a Firmware Engineer at Freeform, you will be responsible for architecting and implementing critical embedded software systems that enable our advanced metal 3D printing systems to operate fully autonomously at high speeds with precision. We’re looking for someone who is very knowledgeable in low level programming and experience working closely with FPGA and/or electrical engineers on developing software that interfaces with their hardware. This is a high impact opportunity to develop some of the most crucial aspects of our transformative technology!
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Architect state-of-the art firmware for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing system.
- Develop software to enable the high speed computer vision system, as well sensor data monitoring and calibrations checks.
- Work with process and control engineers to develop and integrate control algorithms into production software.
- Work with FPGA developers to develop high-performance compute systems.
- Work with electrical engineers on board bring up and integrating PCBs into the infrastructure.
- Develop software required to implement production automation solutions.
- Develop, unit test, and deploy functional, scalable, robust, and maintainable software.
- Generate and maintain documentation of designed software and integrated systems.
- 5+ years of experience in software development using C and/or C++.
- Proven experience in real time embedded system design.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's, Master's or PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, engineering, or related field.
- Experience with bare metal programming, BSP engineering, RTOS, and/or similar low level programming concepts.
- Proficiency in interfacing microcontrollers with FPGA computing hardware.
- Experience with PCIe driver development and troubleshooting.
- Experience with high-speed data acquisition and real time closed-loop-control systems.
- Experience working in a Linux environment.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As an early-stage startup, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $100,000-$250,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?