Senior Software Engineer (Embedded)
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (EMBEDDED)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a Senior Embedded Software Engineer at Freeform, you will be responsible for architecting and implementing critical embedded software systems that enable our advanced metal 3D printing systems to operate fully autonomously at high speeds with precision. As a crucial member of the engineering team you will be responsible for driving the pace of innovation, maximizing development speed, and maintain a standard of excellence within the entire engineering team.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Architect state-of-the-art software for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing system.
- Design and develop the machine instruction interface to the metal 3D printing system hardware.
- Develop software to enable the computer vision system, monitor sensor data, perform calibrations, log quality data, and keep track of the health of the printing system over its lifetime.
- Work with process and control engineers to integrate control algorithms into production software.
- Work with FPGA developers to develop high-speed data acquisition software.
- Create software for collection and analysis of process data.
- Develop software required to implement production automation solutions.
- Develop, unit test, and deploy functional, scalable, robust, and maintainable software.
- Generate and maintain documentation of designed software and integrated systems.
- 5+ years of experience in software development using C and/or C++ (C++11/14/17).
- Proven experience in embedded system design with preemptive, multitasking real-time operating systems.
- Extensive background in object-oriented programming and design.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's, Master's or PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, engineering, or related field.
- Proficiency in interfacing microcontrollers with FPGA computing hardware.
- Experience with PCIe driver development and troubleshooting.
- Experience with high speed data acquisition and real time closed-loop-control systems.
- Excellent knowledge of OS coding techniques, IP protocols, interfaces, and hardware subsystems.
- Experience writing software for industrial automation systems, robotics, or related hardware.
- Experience with Linux OS.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As an early-stage startup, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $100,000-$250,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?