Senior Process Engineer (Advanced R&D)
SENIOR PROCESS ENGINEER (ADVANCED R&D)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a Senior Process Engineer at Freeform, you will have the unique opportunity to invent novel processes for the world’s most advanced metal 3D printing systems. You will deep dive into complex, multi-physics phenomena to gain a fundamental understanding of the system and use those learnings to create a new state-of-the-art process. You will work alongside an interdisciplinary team of mechanical, software, and simulations engineers to analyze massive in-situ data sets as well as post-print material characteristics and rapidly iterate on improving the printing technology with machine learning. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in a fast-paced R&D environment, solving very audacious problems from scratch.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Develop a deep understanding of the metal additive process and hardware operation by analyzing massive in-situ data sets to gain insight into physical mechanisms of the printing process.
- Work independently to design and execute experiments, analyze data, and develop and optimize processes on a metal additive system.
- Perform post-build metrology measurements and analysis of material properties such as tensile strength, surface roughness, and alloy microstructure.
- Generate and track quality metrics of printed customer parts such as dimensional accuracy, defect distribution, and surface roughness.
- Develop and implement tool qualification procedures.
- Collaborate with mechanical, software, and simulations engineers to analyze data and rapidly improve printing processes.
- Strategize continuous improvement plans to enhance system performance, reliability, and scalability.
- Bachelor’s degree in material science, physics, mechanical engineering, or similar engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of process development experience in complex physics-based applications such as semiconductor, solar, or additive manufacturing.
- Experience developing Design of Experiments (DOE), statistical data analysis, and process optimization.
- Experience gathering and processing large data sets.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s or PhD in material science, physics, mechanical engineering.
- Process development experience from cutting edge industries such as semiconductor, solar, or displays.
- Experience with machine learning or data science.
- Experience with statistical data analysis software such as R, JMP, Python, or Minitab.
- Experience with statistical process control and tool health monitoring.
- Experience operating complex equipment.
- Familiarity with metallurgical sample preparation such as cutting, grinding, polishing, acid etching, and optical microscopy.
- Familiarity with programming languages such as MATLAB or Python.
- Passion for developing new processes from scratch.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As an early-stage startup, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $100,000-$200,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?