Senior Mechanical Engineer
SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Freeform, you will be responsible for leading mechanical design efforts across the company, as well as for driving the pace of innovation and maximizing hardware development speed. To be successful in this role, you must have extensive technical breadth in mechanical engineering concepts as well as specific expertise in architecting, designing, and developing complex mechanical systems, advanced robotics systems, or state-of-the-art industrial automation systems. The ideal candidate is capable of acting as the technical lead for a complex system with the ability work across engineering disciplines.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Act as a responsible engineer in bringing hardware from concept to production
- Research, develop, design, and test complex mechanical components, subassemblies, equipment, and systems
- Perform tolerance analysis of designs at the system and subsystem level
- Plan and perform tests to analyze the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components, and systems
- Work hands-on to build, integrate, and validate designs and newly developed systems and/or subsystems
- Strategize continuous improvement plans to enhance system performance, reliability, and manufacturability
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related technical field
- 5+ years of experience in mechanical systems design and development
- CAD experience, including GD&T and detailed drawing documentation
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals with extensive hands-on hardware development experience
- Systems-level thinker also able to perform detailed work; has previously delivered complex mechanical systems
Nice to Have:
- 10+ years of experience designing mechanical systems for semiconductor, machining, automation, materials processing, or other related industrial manufacturing or capital equipment applications (e.g. additive manufacturing, semiconductor, robotics, CNC, or biomedical manufacturing equipment design engineering experience)
- Advanced degree in mechanical engineering
- Knowledge of motion control and kinematics
- Experience with design of fluid or thermal systems
- Working knowledge of electromechanical systems
- Passion for improving the state of metal 3D printing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $75,000-$200,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.