Additive Manufacturing Development Engineer
ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As an Additive Manufacturing Development Engineer at Freeform, you will play a critical role in the development of our advanced printing technology including machine functionality, part quality, automation projects, and complex print file preparation. You will own projects cradle to grave as a responsible engineer, taking customer designs from concept through printing, testing, and delivery. You will also contribute to the overall machine system architecture with a key focus on automation by developing a fundamental understanding of the printing factory and leveraging your technical insights to advance system capabilities.
- Understand printing system capabilities and roadmap, and work with internal engineering teams (mechanical, electrical, software) to implement solutions that further automate the printing process for high volume production
- Drive all stages of print production development including file preparation, printing, post processing, and quality control
- Analyze in-situ data and post-print part quality to drive continuous improvement
- Use first-principles thinking to understand problems, define test methods, evaluate solutions, iterate and provide technical recommendations to internal and external stakeholders
- Document application requirements and objectives, statements of work, standard operating procedures, next steps and action items to align all internal and external team members
- Interface with external customers to communicate Freeform’s technical capabilities; work with customers on improving Design for Additive Manufacturing (DFAM)
- Contribute to Freeform’s internal technology development with feedback from internal and external stakeholders via detailed design and systems level improvements
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar technical discipline
- 2+ years of professional experience with direct metal laser sintering (DMLS)
- Experience with print file preparation
- Experience with DFAM and CAD software
Nice to Have:
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering, materials engineering, or similar technical discipline
- Process development experience for metal additive manufacturing
- Scripting experience in Matlab (or similar) for toolpath generation
- Experience working with internal and/or external customers
- Mechanical systems design experience
- Detail oriented with excellent verbal, graphical, and technical communication skills
- Demonstrated creative problem solving abilities and positive attitude
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $75,000-$200,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.