Head of Manufacturing & Development Operations
HEAD OF MANUFACTURING & DEVELOPMENT OPERATIONS
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As the Head Manufacturing & Development Operations, you will be responsible establishing and scaling the physical processes for the production of printed parts as well as acting as a force multiplier for engineering R&D activities. We are looking for someone with a background in development operations/engineering who has a deep understanding of how to take a process from “zero to one” in a dynamic hardware manufacturing environment. You will need a keen and pragmatic eye for the implementation of lightweight and efficient processes and automation needed to maximize operational efficiency while still enabling R&D to take place in parallel. This is a very high-visibility role that will work directly with the C-suite to transform the metal 3D printing industry
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative individuals who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Establish and deploy manufacturing development processes for the world’s first high-volume metal 3D printing factory
- Invent and implement processes that are lightweight, efficient, and ensure we meet production goals, customer requirements, and part delivery schedules
- Lead development operations efforts to continuously refine and accelerate post-print processes, delivery of customer parts, and new factory build outs
- Proactively engage engineering teams across mechanical, electrical, software, and process to improve the pace and efficiency of R&D operations
- Develop and deploy performance indicators to help assess our progress in achieving production goals as well as to provide data that can be used to continually improve over time
- Work closely with business development and executive team to develop production strategies that impress customers with our exceptional speed, quality, and delivery
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field
- 7+ years of professional experience in manufacturing/engineering development operations
- Experience establishing a production operation from scratch (going from “zero to one”)
Nice to Have:
- 10+ years of professional experience
- Previous experience in a hands-on engineering role
- Experience as a test director in a complex hardware development environment
- Experience scaling R&D operations into high-volume production
- Experience with metal additive manufacturing
- Experience leading a manufacturing facility buildout or overseeing manufacturing facility operations (power, industrial gases, material storage, etc.)
- MRP/ERP (Oracle, NetSuite, etc.) implementation experience
- Strong Excel skills
- OSHA and EHS regulation experience
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $100,000-$250,000, inclusive of all levels / seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.