Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (BACKEND)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a Backend Software Engineer at Freeform, you will be responsible for architecting, developing, and implementing robust web services and data APIs used by the entire company. These services are used throughout the lifecycle of the metal 3D printing process, from managing data through the geometry processing pipeline; to queueing and scheduling builds to run throughout the factory; to managing and visualizing 3D model data and in-situ laser telemetry data. Ultimately, the software you build will need to scale to a distributed network of Freeform’s factories all over the world. The ideal candidate should have demonstrated experience architecting and implementing robust production software solutions, and must enjoy working in an dynamic, interdisciplinary environment.
- Work on a variety of backend projects across the full lifecycle of the metal 3D printing process from managing data through the geometry processing pipeline, to queueing and scheduling builds to be run throughout the factory, to managing and visualizing in-situ laser data
- Develop systems to track the state and end-to-end lifecycle of a 3D printed part
- Work with computational geometry engineers to integrate physics-based and data-driven models into the software simulation pipeline
- Test and deploy applications and services to a variety of environments
- Design highly scalable and resilient systems to meet Freeform’s high quality bar
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development
- Proficiency writing, deploying, and maintaining production code in an industry-standard language (preferably Rust, Go, or C++)
- Experience writing, deploying, and maintaining web services
- Experience writing applications which interact with databases (Postgres, MySQL, NoSQL)
- Experience with containerized applications and deployments
Nice to Have:
- Experience deploying applications to Kubernetes
- Experience with gRPC and protocol buffers
- Familiarity with CI/CD, DevOps, and Build Systems
- Experience with Rust specifically
- Experience with Typescript and React (or similar)
- Experience with Apache Beam or similar
- Experience managing, processing, and querying 3D or spatial data
- Experience with telemetry systems such as InfluxDB or TimescaleDB
- Experience serving as technical lead throughout the full software development lifecycle, from concept, detailed architectural design, implementation, and testing to documentation, delivery, and maintenance
- Proficient in developing and deploying multi-threaded applications
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or related field
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $140,000-$250,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.