Electrical R&D Technician
ELECTRICAL R&D TECHNICIAN (PCB FABRICATION)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As an Electrical R&D Technician at Freeform, you will work closely with the engineering team to assemble, test, and develop electrical hardware for our advanced metal 3D printing systems, which includes complex PCBAs, harnesses, high voltage systems, etc. You will be the “master of the lab,” meaning you will have the opportunity to build, maintain, and operate a state-of-the-art electronics prototyping and production. You will ensure that all relevant areas are outfitted with the required tools and equipment, remain clean and organized, and are being used safely. The right candidate for this role will be team-oriented and have a positive attitude with a “no job too big or small” mentality.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative individuals who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Build surface mount technology PCBs by hand and with equipment
- Test and validate completed assemblies without supervision
- Assist engineers with circuit board reworks
- Working with technicians of other trades to build and deploy electromechanical assemblies
- Manage lab consumables, ensuring stocking of critical materials
- Read and interpret schematics, follow work instructions, and suggest improvements to assembly/fabrication processes
- Perform planned maintenance and unplanned repairs on equipment including soldering stations, reflow ovens, pick and place machines, optical inspection machines, and other general lab equipment
- 2+ years of PCB assembly experience
- Experience with precision soldering, hand rework down to 0402 components
- Experience interpreting schematics and/or blueprints
- Proficiency with lab equipment (DMM, power supply, etc.)
Nice to Have:
- Experience building cables and harnesses
- Experience with oscilloscopes and logic analyzers, able to interpret basic waveforms for testing
- Experience operating pick and place machines
- Formal hardware-centric technical training/certification/education
- Good mechanical aptitude, able to complete basic mechanical modifications such as drilling, cutting, and fastening components
- Ability to utilize power tools, hand tools, cranes, forklifts, and other heavy equipment
- Licensed for high voltage electrical work
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50lbs unassisted
- Ability to climb ladders and be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Must be available and willing to work overtime when needed
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated pay range for this role is $20-$45/hour, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.