Materials & Process Technician (Metal 3D Printing) - 2nd shift
M&P TECHNICIAN (METAL 3D PRINTING) – 2ND SHIFT
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a M&P Technician at Freeform, you will play a critical role in the testing and analysis of 3D printed parts and materials for the world’s most advanced additive manufacturing systems. You will perform a variety of testing procedures using state of the art machines including CT scanners, surface scanners, and Instrons with extreme attention to detail and critical thinking skills. You will work alongside the engineering team to improve testing processes and procedures with a focus on automation and scalability. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in a fast-paced R&D environment, will enjoy solving problems and making improvements, and will have a “no job too big or small” mentality.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative individuals who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Perform metallurgical sample preparation including cutting, grinding, polishing, acid etching, and optical microscopy
- Operate and maintain testing equipment such as CT scanners, Instrons, and surface scanners
- Work with the engineering team to collect data and conduct testing, analysis, and review of printed parts
- Perform data entry and report generation
- Participate in process improvement efforts to streamline testing procedures
- Contribute to installation and commissioning of new machines used for material testing/qualification
- 2+ years of professional experience in materials and processing, semiconductor processing, chemical processing, pharmaceutical processing, or mechanical testing; OR completed bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or materials engineering from an ABEIT college or university
Nice to Have:
- Experience in metallurgical sample preparation
- Extreme attention to detail and critical thinking skills
- Experience handling and keeping track of a large number of physical parts and the measurements taken on them
- Experience in operating complex equipment
- Experience working with hazardous materials
- Previously exposed to basic concepts of statistical process control (i.e. performing routine measurements on test samples to monitor tool health)
- Safety conscience
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to utilize power tools, hand tools, cranes, forklifts, and other heavy equipment
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50lbs unassisted
- Ability to climb ladders and be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Must be available and willing to work overtime when needed
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated pay range for this role is $20-$45/hour, inclusive of all levels / seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.