Senior Software Engineer (Simulation & Test)
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (SIMULATION & TEST)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
In this role, you will be responsible for creating a real-time simulation of the fluid, gas, electrical, and mechanical systems of our autonomous 3D printing factories, and using it to support design, validation, and regression testing of the print control software. Your software will integrate tightly with the print control software and perform both hardware-in-the-loop simulation and offline batch testing. The software you write will have a direct and meaningful impact on the robustness and scalability of Freeform’s printing factories.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Develop fluid and mechanical simulation models and infrastructure for both real-time and off-line simulations of our autonomous 3D printing factories
- Develop software infrastructure to operate Hardware-in-the-Loop (HITL) testbeds and software-only simulation environments
- Work with embedded control software engineers to define, implement, and execute integrated test cases and validations for control algorithms
- Work with mechanical, electrical, and process engineers to understand the printing system and requirements for developing robust simulation and testing software
- 5+ years of experience developing software in Rust, C++, Python, or similar languages
- Experience implementing fluid and/or mechanical simulation software
Nice to Have:
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD in computer science, physics, applied mathematics, engineering, or related field
- Experience interacting with simulation-relevant hardware such as DAQs and serial devices in a real-time environment
- Experience with modern continuous integration and continuous deployment tools
- Experience working in a Linux environment
- Experience with network programming (IP/UDP/TCP)
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $140,000-$250,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.