Senior Software Engineer (Linux Kernel)
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (LINUX KERNEL)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
In this role, you will be responsible for building and maintaining Linux platforms and driver suites that operate our advanced, autonomous metal 3D printing systems. Your work will tie our embedded control applications and high-speed data processing into a cohesive, integrated whole that spans multiple off-the-shelf and custom PCBs and server-class hardware. Ultimately, this platform will integrate the applications running entire autonomous metal 3D printing factories.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Architect a state-of-the-art embedded Linux platform for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing systems
- Develop and integrate Linux drivers that enable communication with custom FPGAs, peripherals, and high-speed data links
- Lead and execute board bring-up efforts
- Support end-of-line PCB manufacturing with comprehensive functional tests
- Generate and maintain documentation of designed software and integrated systems
- 5+ years of experience in Linux platform/kernel development
- Proficient in C, bash, and hardware test scripting (e.g. Python)
- Experience developing Linux-based device drivers, Board Support Packages (BSP), and platform development (including bootloaders)
- Experience with board bring-up on new hardware
- Experience with on-chip debugging tools and troubleshooting both software and hardware
Nice to Have:
- Bachelor's, Master's or PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, engineering, or related field
- Experience working with FPGA-connected processors
- Experience with PCIe driver development and troubleshooting
- Experience with high-speed data acquisition and real time closed-loop-control systems
- Excellent knowledge of OS coding techniques, IP protocols, interfaces, and hardware subsystems
- Experience writing software for industrial automation systems, robotics, or related hardware
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $140,000-$250,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.