Senior Software Engineer (Computational Geometry)
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (COMPUTATIONAL GEOMETRY)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a Senior Computational Geometry Software Engineer at Freeform, you will play a critical role in developing the pre-print, computational geometry software platform for our metal 3D printing production system. You will be responsible for designing, developing, and integrating software systems that enable the first production-scale, high-quality, and fully-automated metal 3D printing factory capability. As a crucial member of the engineering team you will be responsible for driving the pace of innovation, maximizing development speed, and maintaining a standard of excellence within the entire engineering team.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Develop algorithms for geometry deformation, procedural geometry generation, and space-filling operations
- Work with simulations engineers to integrate physics-based and data-driven models into the software simulation pipeline
- Integrate 2D and 3D meshing techniques into the physical simulation software pipeline
- Work with data scientists to develop and deploy machine learning algorithms
- Design and develop the print preparation software pipeline for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing system
- Develop software to automate the CAD import, geometry processing, slicing, and toolpath planning of an advanced laser melting printing system
- Work with back-end software developers to architect the software interface to the metal 3D printing hardware layer
- Develop software required to implement production automation solutions in the front-end geometry processing pipeline
- Create software to interface with third-party CAD and CAM software
- Develop, unit test, and deploy functional, scalable, robust, and maintainable software
- Generate and maintain documentation of designed software and integrated systems
- Integrate third-party software packages into proprietary software
- 5+ years of experience in software development using C++ (C++11/14/17)
- Extensive background in object-oriented programming and design
- Proficient in computational geometry
Nice to Have:
- Bachelor's, Master's or PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, or related field highly preferred
- Experience developing advanced software for 3D visual effects, animation, or graphics industries
- Experience interfacing with CAD and CAM software APIs
- Experience with 2D and 3D meshing techniques
- Knowledge of MATLAB and Python is a plus
- Experience with cloud computing is a plus
- Proficient with software configuration management tools
- Experience with optimization techniques
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $140,000-$250,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.