Senior Materials Engineer (Metal 3D Printing)
SENIOR MATERIALS ENGINEER (METAL 3D PRINTING)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a Senior Materials Engineer at Freeform, you will have the unique opportunity to establish the company’s M&P infrastructure, strategy, and best practices for our advanced metal 3D printing technology. We are looking for someone with solid fundamentals in materials engineering, an understanding of metals, and a keen interest in working on the cutting edge of additive manufacturing development. In this role, you will own materials engineering efforts from cradle to grave, including hands-on sample testing, analysis of findings, and strategic process improvements. If you want to make an impact at a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing metal additive manufacturing, we’d love to hear from you!
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Establish Freeform’s M&P best practices and materials testing infrastructure/strategy
- Operate scanning equipment to measure and analyze material properties such as tensile strength, surface roughness, and alloy microstructure
- Generate and track quality metrics of printed customer parts such as dimensional accuracy, defect distribution, and surface roughness
- Organize data and present key findings
- Establish processes and procedures for measuring and quantifying material quality
- Work with process development team to tie key findings into improvement of upstream printing processes, including training our advanced machine learning models
- Create automation for M&P procedures to take human out of the loop
- Strategize continuous improvement plans to enhance system performance, reliability, and scalability
- Bachelor’s degree in material science, materials engineering, metallurgy, or mechanical engineering
- 7+ years of professional materials engineering experience (with at least one year in metals)
- Experience developing and optimizing metallurgical sample preparation techniques such as cutting, grinding, polishing, acid etching, and optical microscopy
Nice to Have:
- Master’s or PhD in in material science, materials engineering, metallurgy, or mechanical engineering highly preferred
- 10+ years of materials engineering experience
- Experience with metal additive manufacturing highly preferred
- Experience with laser powder bed fusion (LPBF) processes
- Experience in process development
- Experience operating complex equipment
- Familiarity with processing large datasets and statistical data analysis software such as R, JMP, or Minitab
- Passion for improving the state of metal 3D printing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $75,000-$200,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.